Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Poor People take Advice from Poor People

It seems like everyday people give advice about things they shouldn’t be giving advice about. People in bankruptcy court are pretending they know a thing or two about money. People who lost their homes to foreclosure are advising that the best thing to do is buy a house, “It can only go up in value,” they say.

Do you think that makes sense?

I don’t

If you have a problem and are looking for a solution, who do you go to for advice? Has that person solved your specific problem before? If not, then why ask for advice from them?

Many people are facing this problem every day. I’m struggling with this problem right now. It’s always been common for people including me to seek advice from friends and family but they don’t always provide the best advice. Before seeking advice, ask yourself these questions:

1.       Who do I know that has been in the same position I am in?

2.       Are they where I want to be in life?

3.       Are they doing the things I want to do?

These can be hard questions to answer. Sometimes the people you rely on most don’t fit the description of the answers you are looking for. I know the people I usually rely, my parents and friends, have never been in the position I am in now. To get the outcome I want I have to ask someone who has earned the outcome that I want. Always remember to think about who you ask advice from before you ask it.

3 comments:

  1. You make the point that people in bankruptcy court shouldn't say a thing or two about managing money because they obviously don't have the credentials. And that people in foreclosure don't have good advice on when to buy homes.

    This same line of logic could also apply to the fact that a criminal doesn't know a thing or two about law.

    The point I'm making is that these people might know a great deal more than you think because they have been through it. EXPERIENCED IT. If you want to be financially successful, wouldn't it be advantageous for you to gain advice from some one who obviously is not (like from a guy in bankruptcy?) I would take the advice of a guy in bankruptcy on things related to bankruptcy and financial stability because he's LIVED it. You would ask how he got into bankruptcy and do the complete OPPOSITE. Just because he doesn't know how to stay out of bankruptcy doesn't mean he doesn't know ANYTHING. You imply in your article that you should not take advice from these people. Fine. But sometimes the best advice can be trumped by pure experience. Dismissing these delinquents as bringing nothing to the table shows a considerable amount of ignorance. Ignorance is truly a sign of weakness.

    Take the following into consideration: a criminal knows the law because he went through the system and LIVED it. Criminals may be on the opposite end of the spectrum but to some one who has lived it, they know the order of things and how it all pans out. They know the law because they broke it. Often times they knew the law and disregarded it anyways. You may not want to be a criminal but you may want their insight. Advice is often times disguised as insight.

    What you fail to point out in your rant is that there are often two sides of the coin. I personally think that I could gain invaluable insight from the guy in bankruptcy court or the couple who just foreclosed on their homes. To say these people are not credible and they have no valuable advice is a mere sign of ignorance. You become weaker by not listening to the advice these people have to share.

    What your rant should do a better job of implying is this: "take advice from everyone you meet but don't listen to or believe all of it...make your own decision that fits your situation".

    Just because a person is not in the same place as "where you want to be in life" or are not "doing the things you want to do" doesn't mean they don't have anything valuable to share. You must be reminded that these "everyday people" are just as "everyday" as you or I...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you have some interesting views on this topic. I also believe you did get the point of my rant which was "take advice from everyone you meet but don't listen to or believe all of it...make your own decision that fits your situation." I wouldn't say it was ignorance on the topic instead I failed at my responsibility as a writer to fully communicate my views.

    Some of your points, such as a criminal not knowing the law and a bankrupt person not having advice on what they did wrong, do not exactly go a long with the purpose of my rant. Its not that a criminal doesn't know the law, its that they do not know how to follow it. I would hope you would do the opposite of a bankrupt person but they cannot help you through the intricacies of becoming financially free because they have never been in that position.

    I know there are many possibilities not discussed and different directions this debate can go in but I really appreciate your response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem bud. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete